Monday 18 June 2012

Socially acceptable?

Twitter - Victoria Payne


Soooooo summer is on its way (ish) and the sun has already come out for its one and only week of the year (Got really burnt, got a small tan line, result!) and I have finished my first year at uni.


Sorry what?


First year has pretty much vanished into thin air and now I'm expected to grow up and do some work in second year. Hah! I didn't go to uni to work! Anyway, I will miss a lot about Freshers year, but here are a few memories of my first year in Leeds.


1. The words 'Where are we going tonight then?' said every night for the first 4 weeks of semester 1.


2. Living on a diet of pesto, pasta, cheese and pretzels for weeks on end.


3. You all end up speaking the same language with strange words (usually abbreviations) such as 'jel', 'po po' and after a while saying YOLO! and realising you genuinely meant it.


4. Realising that freshers year is nothing more than a doss and all those photos of you on nights out really hamper your case when you are trying to convince parents/ relatives you are working hard.



5. Being fraped at every possible moment - worst culprits/ victims: Bianca Chubb, Tori Burgess and Dan May. This will probably carry on though university though as we all still believe we are hilarious.


Thanks everyone.


And unfortunately I decided to get a job that means I have to be in Leeds while the kiddies are still at school and effectively I get school summer holidays off again. Bearing in mind universities function for about 3 months of the year, I am missing out on a lot of holiday! All my flat have gone home, I think even my whole block have gone home, and I find myself sitting in my flat watching a lot of Grey's Anatomy and wondering what to do with my life now.


I've also found myself puzzling over what is socially acceptable to do by yourself? I mean, some people don't get the concept of 'socially acceptable' and walk around doing what they please, but as I am quite conscious about doing something weird or wrong, I need to think carefully before engaging in any activities.


Here are some things I usually do with friends, and have now contemplated doing by myself.

Mocha for one!
Scenario 1 - Going for coffee by oneself


I think this could count as acceptable. Only if a book is taken to read or you have a iPhone or iPad. Otherwise I think I will just stare at random coffee-consumers and wonder if we could be friends, and scare them away.






Table for one? Yes I do have friends

Scenario 2 - Going for dinner by oneself


Aah. This is slightly more tricky and on the more embarrassing side. Nothing wrong with it, but I can just see the waiters thinking 'She has no friends' or 'She got stood up, HAH' so I think this is a no go area by myself. I will just have to order a takeaway.










Scenario 3 - Going to the cinema by oneself
Hiding from a scary film, alone


Again, acceptable, but there isn't anyone to hide behind if it's scary and potentially I will get upset when I see couples walk in holding hands. Bit lonely, but I am considering a
 cheeky trip to the cinema to stifle my boredom.




Seem to have forgotten my bowling shoes,
but more importantly my arms

Scenario 4 - Going bowling by oneself


NO, NO and NO. Just no. The only way this would be acceptable is if you were a professional and you weren't going for fun time, you were going there to train. And I can tell you already I am not a pro, and cheering at a strike by myself makes me feel very depressed.






Nothing to do apart from do puzzles, alone

Scenario 5 - Going to hang out in James Baillie common room by oneself


I didn't go in that place when everyone was here, let alone by myself. However there is a book shelf (with books on it), a TV, a piano and a snooker table. Maybe this can be my haven for the next few weeks.





Scenario 6 - Going to Fruity by oneself


Who's up for a party!? Just me? Okay.
I'm not going to lie, it's tempting. A little tempting. The thought of having to get ready and pre-drink by myself is depressing, but I'm sure with enough drink the pain of being alone would be numbed substantially. I suppose I could spend my night hogging the bar and giving eyes at anyone with a willy so I could be bought a drink, but that isn't really my style. But how do you dance by yourself? Do you constantly do a bit of the grapevine and sidle around the dance floor so people don't realise you are by yourself? I think people would find out.



Looks like I am in for a lonely few weeks, so if anyone wants to send me fun messages and tweets then feel free. 


However, you never know, I might just make some friends.


"Easy white chocolate, I wouldn't want you to melt"

2 comments:

  1. Your photo shop skills are simply amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i will make sure you are not alone for to long at a time :D

    ReplyDelete